Governance at the European Nutrition for Health Alliance
ENHA is a non-profit association (charity) legally incorporated and registered in England and Wales with limited liability. The charity status of the Alliance means that its income and property are solely for promoting the aims and objectives of the organisation.
ENHA activities are managed by a board of Trustees, which must contain at least three members and is responsible for making decisions (via a vote) including budget oversight, appointing the Secretary General, and approving policy statements.
Trustees are appointed as individuals, with the exception of the European Union Geriatric Medicine Society (EUGMS) and the European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN), organisations, which appoint one Trustee each who are the Co-Chairs of the Alliance.
Trustees are not appointed for a fixed term of office and may continue as long as they respect the obligations of the role, for example regularly attending meetings. Trustees are not remunerated for their time, but may request the reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses related to Trustee activities.
Members of ENHA are non-profit organisations in the field of health and nutrition and commercial organisations in the field of nutrition, which support and implement ENHA policies, but do not participate in decision making.
|Attend ENHA meetings||YES||YES|
|Vote on decisions||YES||NO|
|Appoint the Secretary General||YES||NO|
|Approve budget and expenditure||YES||NO|
|Adopt ENHA policy statements||YES||NO|
|Undertake activities to support ENHA priorities||YES||YES|
|Pay annual membership fee||NO||YES|
The Trustees of ENHA are:
- Cornel Sieber (ENHA Co-chair)
- Ceri Green
- Pascal Garel
- Olle Ljungqvist, European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism (ESPEN) (ENHA Co-chair)
- Anne de Looy
- Iris Meyenburg-Altwarg
- Claude Pichard
- Marcel Smeets
The individual interests of the trustees are:
|Cornel Sieber||Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (Germany)|
|Ceri Green||Nutricia Advanced Medical Nutrition (Netherlands)||MNI member|
|Pascal Garel||HOPE (Belgium)|
|Olle Ljungqvist||Örebro University (Sweden)||
International Association of Surgical Metabolism and Nutrition (President)
Enhanced Recovery After Surgery Society for Perioperative Care (Chair)
|Anne de Looy||University of Plymouth (UK)||EFAD (Honorary President)|
|Iris Meyenburg-Altwarg||Hannover Medical School (Germany)||ENDA (President)|
|Claude Pichard||Geneva University Hospital (Switzerland)|
|Marcel Smeets||Smeets, Stuger & De Vries (Netherlands)||De Zorgambassade (Netherlands)|
The Members of ENHA are:
- Association Internationale de la Mutualité (AIM mutual health insurers)
- European Association of Homes and Services for the Ageing
- European Federation of the Associations of Dietitians (EFAD)
- European Hospital and Healthcare Federation (HOPE)
- European Nursing Directors Association (ENDA)
- European Society of Clinical Nutrition (ESPEN)
- European Union Geriatric Medicine Society (EUGMS)
- International Association Geriatrics and Gerontology (IAGG)
- International Longevity Centre - UK
- Medical Nutrition International Industry (MNI)
- Pharmaceutical Group of the European Union (PGEU Community Pharmacists)
ENHA Partners pay an annual fee to the alliance to fund core activities.
Core activities consist of:
- developing and promoting policies to further the aims and objectives of the Alliance;
- coordinating implementation activities by Trustees and Partners;
- collecting, validating and disseminating best practice;
- representing the Alliance to key decision makers
- communicating ENHA activities externally including via publications, the ENHA website and the media.
Annual fee levels are determined according to the status e.g. non-profit or profit-making, and the resources of the Partner.
The Alliance also accepts project-specific funding from corporate and non-profit organisations.
For more details, please see the annual accounts of the Alliance, which are published on the Charity Commission website. The most recently submitted annual accounts can be found here.